Tolerance. What comes to mind when you think of that word? For me, lately it is people wanting us to be tolerant of everything under the son....world religions, politics, you name it. And right now, the issue is of sexual orientation. For my English class, in one of the upcoming weeks, I am supposed to read a play "Angels in America" which is a "gay fantasy play" basically two homosexual men...foul language...details. I refuse. And, well, I was polite about it. I told my professor I am not comfortable with the material and asked for an alternative reading assignment, and that I would even do "extra" work to make up for the discussions on Web CT. Pretty much begged. Got nowhere. My professor said "I do not customize course content...you can take an F for that week if you choose" pretty much. Ridiculous. We as Christians are expected to always "tolerate" all of the garbage around us...not to offend anyone...not to judge anyone. Well, what about tolerating that I am a Christian and I do not want to read material I am not comfortable with. I am so outraged about this. I do not understand how in the world things are expected of us, but who respects that we are Christians and have a strong faith? I spoke with several people about this, and they agree that I am doing the right thing. Many have said I should speak to my cohort advisor about this because it is not fair. I may do that. I may wait to see if the one week's "F" affects my grade or not. I really want an "A" in the class and I have been working my tail off to get one, so it would really upset me if I couldn't get one because, basically, I am a Christian. Ok...that's off my chest. Had to say it. I love everyone, including homosexuals, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with their behavior. It's not right and I won't stand by it. On a happier note, tomorrow is FRIDAY! =) Whoo hoo! I soooo need the weekend to come. I need a break. Well, at least a break from going to work. Still have plenty to do at home, lesson plans, grading papers, Master's work. At least I can work on it on my pajamas.
Goodnight,
Nicole
No comments:
Post a Comment